Sunday, November 11, 2007

The President's Office

((The Palace Balcony in Aladdin))
Stepping out onto the veranda, I was met by the breathtaking view of our campus and Austin’s downtown. We were in our own world, removed from the busy pedestrians below. Immediately above us rose the tower. An icon for this university and city, the tower seems similar to a palace as a focal point for people miles around. In fact, the grandeur of the president’s office and porch reminded me of the palace’s balcony from the Disney movie Aladdin. Just as Aladdin admires his view of the palace, so too do I admire the beautiful lit tower as I drive around Austin or walk through campus. The privilege of walking around this hidden balcony made me feel the power and authority of not only this educational institution but also the power that comes from wisdom and beauty. I felt as if the president were a king, lording over the students who passed beneath him. Leaning against the railing, I felt like Jasmine waiting for Aladdin to come take her away on his magic carpet.

((The Tower Rising Above))
I know that others felt the same as me as we stared into the distance. Will exemplified this feeling of privacy the balcony gave us when he stated that he would walk around naked if he were the president. Meanwhile, Avni took pictures of the beautiful view in order to capture that feeling of superiority the height of the balcony gave us. Once, however, someone shouted down to students on the main mall and temporarily broke our sense of privacy. Rather than ruining the peace and power of the balcony, this shout brought into focus the unity that the president and tower have with the university. Because, even as we were above and beyond the reach of the students below, we were also within speaking distance and part of the tower- a symbol of UT’s pride and strength.

((Wood and Leather))
Inside the Tower’s fourth floor, I also felt an overwhelming since of power and history in the ornateness of the wood work, decorations, and leather. The memorabilia in the president’s office reminded me of the countless stories of the people of this school which I think is what makes the spirit of the university so dynamic. Even simply the dark wood color and large presence of leather seemed to reflect the founding spirit of our state: the rough-and-tumble and courageous fighting spirit of the founding ranchers. Reflecting upon our state’s past in the President’s Office makes me feel more connected to my past and makes me want to emulate the courage and initiative of my ancestors.
((“Truth”))
More specifically, the decoration that both connected me to my past and most moved me upon my pilgrimage toward becoming a leader was the Latin word “veritas” which means “truth.” I noticed this word in many of the college crests and also upon some stained glass windows. First, the large diversity of school crests made me in awe of the connections which the University of Texas strives toward. Those connections resonated with the connections that I attempt to make in this class and in the different areas of my life. Secondly, Veritas made me nostalgic. My high school’s motto, honor code, victory cry, school song, and much more focused on Veritas. As “academy women” we were expected to write “veritas” at the top of every school assignment as evidence of our honesty. At the end of our school song everyone would stand up and throw up our fists in the shape of the peace sign, or V-sign, as we sang “St. Agnes, VERITAAAS!” And as a motivation tool, a word for school pride, or as a word associated with anything positive, we would say “Veritas.” For me, the word veritas means so much more than truth—it holds in it all the positive aspects of high school and all the morals I hope to live by. So, seeing “veritas” engraved upon the ceilings and windows of my new university brought me full circle and reminded me of the values that I hope to live by for the rest of my life. “Veritas” makes me think of my past but also makes me look toward my future.

I believe that the timeless quality of a word like Veritas is very appropriate for the University of Texas. As a leader, veritas links the past to a boundless future of truth, reciprocity, and respect. Similarly, the elaborate and historical feel of the fourth floor inspires in me a desire to commune with my predecessors as I trek forward through university life with my classmates- in both the unity and the seclusion we experienced on the balcony.

No comments: